BrainPOP is an educational platform offering animated videos, interactive quizzes, and creative tools to simplify complex subjects, with a teacher dashboard for tracking student progress and professional development resources for educators.
What BrainPOP does
BrainPOP is an educational platform that provides a variety of animated videos and interactive activities to simplify complex subjects for students. It covers a wide range of subjects, including math, English, politics, geometry, and genetics. The platform uses cartoon characters Moby and Tim to narrate videos, making learning more engaging for students. In addition to videos, BrainPOP offers quizzes, reading materials, and interactive activities. It also features tools like Make-A-Map, Make-A-Movie, and Creative Coding activities, allowing students to demonstrate their understanding in different ways. Teachers can track student progress and tailor their teaching approach based on individual needs. BrainPOP also offers professional development and training opportunities for teachers.
Key features for teachers
- Animated Videos: BrainPOP's animated videos simplify complex topics, making them accessible and enjoyable for young learners. These videos are hosted by cartoon characters, Moby and Tim, providing a consistent learning experience.
- Interactive Quizzes and Activities: These allow students to apply their knowledge and demonstrate their understanding in a variety of ways.
- Make-A-Map and Make-A-Movie Tools: These tools encourage students to think critically and creatively by creating their own concept maps and movies.
- Teacher Dashboard: Provides data-driven insights into student performance, enabling teachers to track growth towards grade-level proficiency in essential literacy skills.
- Professional Development Resources: BrainPOP provides professional development courses, workshops, events, and on-demand resources to help educators integrate the platform into their classrooms effectively.
BrainPOP offers a variety of pricing plans for teachers and schools. The School plan for individual teachers starts at $230 for a 12-month subscription. There are also BrainPOP Jr. and BrainPOP ELL versions with more basic features, priced at $175 and $150 per year, respectively.
Potential classroom applications
- Interactive Introduction to New Topics: Teachers can use BrainPOP to introduce new topics in an engaging way. By playing a BrainPOP movie related to the new topic at the start of a lesson, teachers can grab students' attention and provide them with a basic understanding of the topic.
- Student-Created BrainPOP Projects: After watching a BrainPOP movie, students can create their own BrainPOP-style movie on a related topic. This activity allows students to demonstrate their understanding of the topic, encourages creativity, and enhances their presentation skills.
- Incorporating BrainPOP into Game-Based Learning: BrainPOP's quizzes can be transformed into a game show format to make learning more fun and engaging. BrainPOP's GameUp feature offers a variety of educational games that can be used to supplement learning and reinforce concepts taught in the classroom.