Canva is an online graphic design tool that enables teachers to create and share visually engaging educational content, with features like a drag-and-drop interface, integration with classroom tools, a vast template library, and a suite of AI-powered design tools.
What Canva does
Canva is an online graphic design tool that allows teachers to create visually engaging educational content. It offers a user-friendly platform with a drag-and-drop feature, making it easy for users of all skill levels. Teachers can use Canva to create lesson plans, graphs, videos, charts, assignments, and presentations. Canva integrates with core classroom tools such as Google Classroom, Microsoft Teams, Canvas, Schoology, D2L, and Blackboard, making it easy to share content with students.
Key features for teachers
- Drag-and-Drop Feature: This feature makes it easy for teachers to create visually appealing content, regardless of their graphic design skills.
- Integration with Classroom Tools: Canva integrates with Google Classroom, Microsoft Teams, Canvas, Schoology, D2L, and Blackboard, allowing teachers to easily share their creations with students.
- Template Library: Canva offers a vast library of templates that teachers can use to create engaging content for individual assignments or collaborative group work.
- Free Access for Educators and Students: Canva for Education is freely available to all educators and students, providing access to the same features as a Canva Pro account without the cost.
- Learning Tools and Resources: Canva provides learning tools and resources for teachers, such as Social-Emotional Learning Activities.
- Text to Image: This tool generates images based on natural text prompts.
- Magic Write: An AI text generator that makes it easier to generate written content for social media posts, blog articles, and presentations.
- Magic Design: This tool uses AI to generate relevant design templates based on a photo upload or a text query.
- Magic Eraser and Background Remover: These tools allow users to remove backgrounds or unwanted elements from images. However, these tools are exclusively for paid Canva users.
- Magic Edit: This tool enables users to swap an object with something else entirely using generative AI.
- Translate: With Canva Translate, you can translate your content into multiple languages.
- Magic Studio: This suite of AI-powered design tools automates labor-intensive tasks like converting designs into other media formats or instantly editing images through generative AI.
- Magic Media: This tool can generate short videos from text-based prompts or an existing image uploaded to Canva’s asset library.
Potential classroom applications
- Creating visually appealing lesson plans and assignments.
- Designing engaging presentations for classroom instruction.
- Creating charts and graphs for data visualization.
- Developing videos for flipped classroom instruction.
- Designing collaborative group work assignments.
- Creating content in multiple languages using the Translate feature.
- Using the Magic Write feature to generate written content for classroom materials.
Canva for Education is a free platform specifically designed for K-12 (primary and secondary) educators and their students. This means that teachers, students, schools, and districts that meet the eligibility guidelines can access all the features of Canva Pro without any cost. For higher education institutions, Canva offers Canva for Campus, a paid version of Canva for Education.