Gather is a virtual platform that provides an interactive environment for teachers, enabling real-time interaction, customizable maps, collaboration tools, and social experiences to enhance communication, collaboration, and connection in an online classroom.
What Gather does
Gather is a virtual platform that enhances communication, collaboration, and connection in an online space. It is designed to reflect a team's unique culture, making it a useful tool for teachers. Gather provides an interactive environment that goes beyond traditional video conferencing platforms. It allows for splitting classes into groups, holding open office hours, and engaging with students before or after lectures. The platform's spatial-audio technology enables users to hear each other based on the proximity of their avatars, simulating real-life interactions and promoting a more engaging learning experience.
Key features for teachers
- Customizable maps: Teachers can create designated areas for meetings, focus work, or social co-working.
- Real-time interaction: Gather enables real-time interaction with visual context, leading to quick decisions and more creative ideas.
- Spontaneous conversations: Users can walk in and out of conversations fluidly, just like in real life.
- Collaboration tools: Gather offers whiteboards, screen sharing, and other tools to facilitate collaboration and ideation.
- Customizable desks: Teachers and students can personalize their desks to express their personality and foster a sense of belonging.
- Social experiences: The platform supports team activities, ice breakers, and built-in social games to encourage engagement and connection.
Gather offers a free plan for up to 10 concurrent users. For larger classes, the pricing is $7 per user per month, allowing up to 500 concurrent users. This plan includes premium features such as increased capacity and premium support. For one-time events or short-term needs, there's an option to create a one-time reservation at $3 per day per user, capped at $7 per user per month.
Potential classroom applications
- Virtual Field Trips and Exhibitions: Teachers can create a virtual museum or exhibition within Gather, where students can explore different exhibits, learn about various topics, and interact with the content in a more engaging way.
- Interactive Office Hours and Study Groups: Gather can be used to recreate the dynamics of in-person office hours and study groups. Teachers can set specific hours when they are available in their virtual office, and students can drop in to ask questions, discuss assignments, or simply work on their own or in teams.
- Classroom Community Building: Gather can be used to foster a sense of community and camaraderie among students. Teachers can create a virtual classroom that mirrors a physical one, complete with seating arrangements, group tables, and even a space for casual conversations.