GDevelop is an open-source game engine that allows teachers to introduce students to game design and programming logic without any coding knowledge, featuring a built-in asset store, ready-made game templates, cross-platform compatibility, network preview, 3D support, Steamworks integration, and object grouping.
What GDevelop does
GDevelop is an open-source game engine that enables users to create 2D and 3D games without any coding knowledge. It offers a no-code approach, making it accessible for beginners and experienced developers alike. GDevelop provides a built-in asset store, ready-made game templates, and cross-platform compatibility, allowing users to export their games to various platforms with a single click. It also features a network preview for testing games on different devices, 3D support, Steamworks integration, and object grouping for better organization.
Key features for teachers
- No-Code Approach: GDevelop's event system simplifies game logic, making it easy for teachers to introduce students to game design and programming logic.
- Built-in Asset Store: The built-in asset store provides a wide range of assets for game creation, aiding teachers in creating engaging educational games.
- Ready-Made Game Templates: These templates can help teachers and students get started with game development quickly.
- Cross-Platform Compatibility: Games can be exported to various platforms, providing flexibility in how and where students can play the games they create.
- Network Preview: This feature allows teachers and students to preview their games on different devices without exporting, facilitating quick testing and iteration.
- 3D Support: The support for 3D games expands the range of games that can be created, providing more opportunities for creativity and learning.
- Steamworks Integration: This feature allows for the addition of various Steam features, enhancing the potential functionality of games created in GDevelop.
- Object Grouping: This feature aids in organization and workflow efficiency, making it easier for teachers and students to manage their game development projects.
GDevelop offers a free plan with core game engine access. Premium subscriptions, Silver and Gold, are available at €4.99/month and €9.99/month respectively, offering additional online services and perks. An Education plan, designed specifically for schools and universities, is also available at a low price per student.
Potential classroom applications
- Game Development Workshops: Teachers can use GDevelop to conduct game development workshops, teaching students about game design, coding, and critical thinking.
- Teaching Complex Concepts through Serious Games: GDevelop can be used to create 'serious games' that teach complex concepts in a fun and engaging way. For example, a game could be designed to teach physics principles.
- Peer Teaching and Leadership Development: More experienced students can use GDevelop to create games and then teach other students how to use the tool, fostering peer teaching and leadership development.