Grok is an educational platform that offers programming and computer science courses, featuring problem-based learning, interactive notes, auto-marking for instant feedback, and professional development opportunities for teachers.
What Grok does
Grok is an online platform that specializes in teaching programming and computer science to students and teachers. It aims to make coding accessible to everyone, with a strong emphasis on educational context. Grok offers a variety of courses and resources, including problem-based learning, interactive notes, and auto-marking features that provide instant feedback to learners. The platform is designed to be user-friendly and can be used on various devices, including iOS, Windows, and Android. Grok's primary audience includes teachers, students, and educational institutions, with a focus on providing high-quality coding education and resources.
Key features for teachers
Grok offers several features that are beneficial to teachers:
- Courses and Competitions: Grok provides courses and competitions that help teachers confidently bring coding into classrooms with varying skill levels. These courses are built from over 15 years of experience teaching high school students and teachers to code.
- Problem-Based Learning: Grok uses a problem-based learning approach, matching each new concept with a problem so students learn by doing. This approach builds students into confident and independent programmers.
- Automarker: Grok's automarker breaks each problem down into tests and gives students useful feedback to help them solve it. This feature enables students to drive their own learning, resiliently trying until they’ve mastered each skill.
- Teacher Verification: Grok offers a verification process for teachers, which gives them access to sign up students and manage student accounts at their school. Verified teachers also receive free access to all of Grok's materials, including problem solutions and teacher notes.
- Professional Development Opportunities: Grok provides a variety of professional development opportunities for teachers. This includes step-by-step walkthroughs for each problem, making it a valuable resource for teachers who are not too confident with coding.
Grok operates on a whole-school access concept, providing site licenses. The pricing is based on the estimated number of students who will use the platform. Grok also offers bulk discounts to make it more affordable for schools to use the platform more widely. For teachers, Grok provides free access to all courses and content, including solutions and teacher notes.
Potential classroom applications
- Collaborative Coding Projects: Teachers can use Grok to facilitate collaborative coding projects among students. This approach encourages students to learn from each other, share their knowledge, and build a sense of community in the classroom.
- Cross-Curricular Integration: Grok can be integrated into various subjects, such as science, mathematics, and social studies, to create engaging and interactive learning experiences. This approach helps students see the relevance of coding skills in different disciplines and encourages them to apply their coding knowledge in various contexts.
- Coding Competitions and Events: Teachers can organize coding competitions and events using Grok's platform. These events can be designed to address specific learning objectives or to promote creativity and innovation among students.