Lucidchart is a diagramming software that enables teachers to create dynamic and interactive learning materials, such as flowcharts and mind maps, with features for real-time collaboration, a vast library of templates and shapes, and integration with other popular applications.
What Lucidchart does
Lucidchart is a cloud-based diagramming software that provides a platform for creating dynamic and interactive learning materials. It allows users to create a wide range of visual content, from simple pie charts to complex flowcharts and mind maps. It offers an expansive library of shapes and templates, making it accessible to both diagramming experts and those less confident in their artistic skills. The software is fast, responsive, and easy to learn, with many templates coming with helpful tutorials.
Key features for teachers
- Collaboration: Lucidchart offers exceptional collaborative features. It allows multiple users to build and edit the same document simultaneously, regardless of location. In-editor chat and commenting features allow team members to resolve issues faster without ever leaving Lucidchart.
- Templates and Shape Libraries: Lucidchart provides a vast array of templates and shape libraries, which are updated frequently. This includes graphic organizers, mind maps, concept maps, and organizational diagrams to address learning or teaching goals.
- Integration: Lucidchart integrates with G Suite, Microsoft, JIRA, Confluence, and other leading applications, making it easy to place diagrams where your colleagues already work. It also allows you to embed links to Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint documents, Figma, and Google Workspace documents, which can be opened directly in Lucidchart.
- Security: When sharing Lucidchart documents with others, you can add a passcode to the link to prevent unauthorized access. You can also create expiring links, which means collaborators won't be able to access your documents indefinitely.
- Real-Time Updates: Lucidchart updates in real time, allowing everyone to build and edit the same document simultaneously, regardless of location.
Lucidchart offers a range of pricing plans, including a free tier for individual students, teachers, or faculty members, provided they sign up with their official school email address. This free tier offers unlimited document creation and sharing. For more extensive features, Lucidchart offers paid plans, including Individual ($7.95 /mo), Team ($9 /user/mo).
Potential classroom applications
- Literature-based floor plans: While studying a novel, have students create floor plans of the settings described in the book. This activity helps students visualize the story's settings and enhances their understanding of the narrative.
- Language learning flowcharts: In a foreign language class, students can create flowcharts to demonstrate their understanding of grammar rules or daily routines. This activity encourages students to practice their language skills in a fun and engaging way.
- Collaborative concept mapping in science: When learning complex scientific concepts, students can work together to create concept maps in Lucidchart. This activity promotes teamwork and helps students better understand and retain complex information.