Robinson Aerospace Systems provides CubeSat kits for secondary students, offering hands-on learning experiences in building and understanding small, cost-effective satellites, with the kits being expandable and aligned with the Australian Curriculum.
What Robinson Aerospace does
Robinson Aerospace Systems (RAS) is an educational company that offers CubeSat kits for secondary students. These kits are designed to help students build and understand small, cost-effective satellites known as CubeSats. The kits are aligned with the Australian Curriculum, providing hands-on learning experiences. They are also expandable, allowing for the addition of modules or accessories to increase functionality. RAS aims to put 'real' space hardware in the hands of school students, providing a realistic and inspiring learning tool. The company's mission is to give every student in Australia the opportunity to use a working replica satellite in-class, with the goal of educating and inspiring students to pursue STEM careers.
Key features for teachers
- Curriculum-Aligned: The CubeSat kits are aligned with the Australian Curriculum, ensuring that the learning experiences they provide are relevant and beneficial to students' education.
- Hands-On Learning: The kits offer hands-on learning experiences, allowing students to physically build and understand CubeSats.
- Expandable: The kits are expandable, meaning that teachers can add modules or accessories to increase their functionality and provide more advanced learning experiences.
- Inspiring: By putting 'real' space hardware in the hands of students, the kits aim to inspire students to pursue careers in the rapidly growing space and STEM industries.
Robinson Aerospace Systems offers a variety of products with different pricing options. The RASCube Class Pack, which includes five RASCube kits, is priced at $8,440.00, GST included. The RASCube Starter Pack, which includes two RASCube kits and one Test Bench, is priced at $3,490.00, GST included. The individual RASCube Educational Satellite is priced at $1,957.00, GST included. The RASLogger Bottle Rocket Datalogger is priced at $110.00, GST included. The Test Bench for RASCube Modules is priced at $120.00, GST included. A set of five prototyping modules is priced at $75.00, GST included.
Potential classroom applications
- Space Technology Education: Teachers can use the CubeSat kits to educate students about space technology. Students can assemble the CubeSat, learning about its structure, electronics, and user interface software.
- Career Exploration: With the Australian Space Agency estimating over 20,000 new jobs in the space industry by 2030, teachers can use the CubeSat kits to introduce students to potential career paths in this rapidly growing sector.
- Cybersecurity Education: Teachers can use the CubeSat kits to teach students about cybersecurity, a critical aspect of modern technology and space systems.
- Space Payload Testing: Teachers can use the CubeSat kits to simulate space payload testing, giving students a glimpse into the procedures and protocols involved in launching satellites.